If you are looking for the ride of your life, surfing lessons Malibu CA residents highly recommend will give you the skills to do this safely while maximising your fun. With private, to small and larger group lessons for all levels of skill, your surfing experience will be all the better if you go to a reputable “school” for all-things-surfing. If you are an expert who is looking to hone your shredding skills with a top surf instructor, or someone who is scared but really wanting to try dropping into a tube, surfing lessons Malibu CA has to offer will match you with a teacher who is just right for you.
If you are a first-time ever surfer, or someone with a little experience trying to stand on a papa he’enalu (Hawaiian for surfboard) here are some basics to remember before you hit the sand and sea for your first surfing lesson.
Good Gear is Great
While it is not recommended that you shell out the big bucks before you are as hooked as we think you will be, your experience will be better if you have the right gear.
- Try renting a board before you buy. There are rental shops all along the Malibu coast that offer fair and reasonable prices.
- Go LONG and SOFT. The longer your board, the easier it tends to be to stand up on. A longboard is a board that usually ranges from 8 to 12 feet. A problem that some people find with longboards is that while they are easier to get up and balance on, they are harder to maneuver. As well, if you use a soft surfboard until you are a little more experienced, they are lighter, softer, and can be easier to maneuver. If you are not sure what kind of board to rent before surfing lessons Malibu CA visitors and locals are raving about, call Stoked Lessons and one of us will help to steer you in the right direction.
- Wax is your friend. Always use surfboard wax on your board before you go out. It makes your board much easier to grip. It is inexpensive and easy to use. And most of the waxes out there, smell great!
- Leash A leash for a surfboard is a similar idea to the kind of leash you use for a dog. A surfboard leash is permanently attached to the surfboard with a long cord that can be attached to your ankle. If you wipe out, this is a great way to make sure that your surfboard does not get too far away from you or hit another surfer.
- Unless it is the warmest day smack in the middle of the warmest part of the summer, a wetsuit is recommended. It is a tough thing to learn how to do anything when you are too cold. Just because the water and outside temperatures are chilly while you are learning to surf, you do not need to be. Wetsuits come in different thicknesses for different temperatures. For example, a spring suit is a wetsuit that is great for when the water is just starting to warm up after the winter. Before you start the surfing lessons Malibu CA beaches are beckoning to try, you should be sure you are protected from chills and hypothermia with a wetsuit.
Whether the above information was helpful to you before your first surf lesson, or a repeat of information you’ve known about for years, give us a call at Stoked Lessons to arrange surfing lessons Malibu CA community members and vacationers alike, highly recommend!